Monday, March 8, 2010

Don Quixote Chapters 36-45

Lela Zoraida has multiple identities, and it I was able to distinguish in different circumstances. I think the novel presents us with this character because it tries to give a different perspective in their religion. The first description we have of her is, “Her face veiled, a brocade turban on her head, and covered with a mantel from her shoulders to her feet.” This first description leads me more to thinking she’s Muslim, because she wears the veil. When she took off the veil, it said she had the most beautiful face they had seen. She doesn’t understand much of the Spanish language. She isn’t really a Christian yet, except by heart. It’s interesting how the author wrote about Lela because she looks like a Muslim by clothes. She is a Christian by heart, but will be baptized soon. She also doesn’t understand the Spanish language much. If I were to pick one religion that I see her most as, I would pick the Muslim. She is not really a Christian yet, except she believes she is. But she dresses like a Muslim, and bows her head like them too in thanking others. Her character has to say about 17th century Spain and today is that you are free to practice whatever religion you want.

In chapter 37 it says, “I verily believe it,” answered Don Quixote, “for I have had the most monstrous and dreadful battle with the giant that ever I expect to have in the whole course of my life; with one back stroke I tumbled his head to the ground, and so great was the quantity of blood that gushed from it, that the stream ran along the ground like a torrent of water.” I thought this was a creative way in how Don Quixote thinks he defeated the giant. In reality, he fought wine-skin. This was a nice scene for me to visualize, because it said there was so much blood like in a stream of water. I could imagine the blood flowing down the stream. This was again another time when Don Quixote imagines fiction, but this time, it’s in his dream. He thinks he’s dreaming of the giant, so tries to fight him. He thinks he fights him in one punch. If Don Quixote were really fighting the giant, he would not have beaten him in one try. It would have taken several hits, to make it seem like a close fight. Don Quixote doesn’t like to hear that he was dreaming, and was really fighting something else. He doesn’t’ want to believe it.

No comments:

Post a Comment